|Old Sheldon Church Ruins, Yemassee, SC © Doug Hickok All Rights Reserved|
(Velvia slide film)
About an hour drive south of Charleston are the ruins of Old Sheldon Church. It was built during the colonial era (1753) in Greek Revival style and served the plantations of Prince William Parish. It was burnt by the British during the American Revolution (1779), and rebuilt soon after the war only to feel the devastating effects of General Sherman's March through South Carolina during the American Civil War (1865).
These days the ruins are much more peaceful. They are a popular venue for outdoor weddings, picnics, and a favorite subject of photographers.