Thursday, December 8, 2011

I Dreamt...

Cherubs and Car Keys, Portland, Oregon  © Doug Hickok
(Velvia Slide Film)


... I wandered in a city of blue. I felt lost and bewildered as I journeyed through a labyrinth of concrete and brick. I was like the allegorical traveler in Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress searching for truth and meaning in a strange world. Then I looked-up and saw angels... cherubs like those in a Raphael painting. They began shooting arrows at me... not arrows of love... but car keys.

I was quickly impaled by what seemed like hundreds of keys. Yet I felt no pain. I felt only delight... as though I was the ecstatic subject of a Bernini sculpture. As I became a pin cushion of keys, lovely ultra-luxury cars began appearing all around me.

I plucked a key off of me, I tried it in the nearest 
car. It fit perfectly. "The car", you may ask, "what was it?" A bright red Maserati! Yes! No kidding! I took the sleek machine for a spin around the block, feeling the wind in my hair and a rush of excitement in my toes. I tried keys in other cars too. They all fit! Ode to Joy! Say no more! Say no more!

I drove Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Rolls Royces, 
Bugattis, Bentleys, Aston Martins (which came with martinis shaken, not stirred), a fire truck, a bakery truck (ummm, pastries!), and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.... the list went on and on.

But 
my wonderful dream quickly turned Kafkaesque as I found myself metamorphosed into a Saturday Night Live Killer Bee, crammed inside a 1970's Ford Pinto.

Alas, such stuff as dreams are made...

Lucky you. All of this surreal absurdity simply because of a photo I made years ago in Portland, which inspired this Borges-like ficciones.


24 comments:

  1. been having lots of trouble leaving comments these last few days, let's see if this works..

    lovely image Doug and love the blue sky background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very surprising and of course, gorgeous shot. Car keys will soon be a thing of the past...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sky ! Intense blue color and there's not even a single cloud. I love it !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like it when a photo inspires a story. Intriguing Doug ... Particularly as I just finished Kafka's Metamorphasis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. after a night like that i'd need some more sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for making me smile, I enjoyed the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  7. a modern biblical interpretation for a spendid details

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely story and good photo. Thanks for it.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the blue intense in this picture!
    Very cool this advertisement!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  10. love how the blue sky blends with the blue painting

    ReplyDelete
  11. I leapt...

    I wandered in a city of white.
    I lost in a maze made up of white plastic blocks.
    I looked down and saw a keyboard.
    I hit the down arrow key several times and got myself trapped in your surreal world.
    Is that the right key to unlock this crazy mind?
    Angels, please help me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great "dream" account. The image is very eye-catching and effective.
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. FANTASTIC!
    Shot from heaven Doug :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. mostly sad to wake up from a dream - unless it's a nightmare, of course!
    love the blue tones here, almost a perfect match! and the subject of the mural is very creative as well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some clever marketing a few years back and clever dreaming on your part.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, Can you add once again to my blog? thanks
    Se me desactivaron mis seguidores puedes añadirte de nuevo, gracias.

    Impresionantes fotos, siempre me encantan ..

    Happy New Year...Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's all blues and browns, and very crisp looking. Love the image and framing.

    So that's who's got your car key when you can't find it...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Splendid in every way Doug--what a pleasure it is to visit your photoblog

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a great find! Stunning!
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. a fine story to accompany this equally interesting mural.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...