Sunday, November 20, 2011

Saints Alive!

Statues and Papal Coat of Arms, Saint Peter's Square, Vatican City, Italy  © Doug Hickok
(Velvia Slide Film)



Sunday Masses at the Vatican are impressive to see in person. The large crowds that gather in the square in front of Saint Peter's Basilica are surrounded by a colonnade of travertine stone, which hugs the faithful like the "maternal arms of Mother Church", according to its famous designer Bernini. The project was commissioned by Pope Alexander VII, Pontifex Maximus, in the year 1658.


Atop the colonnade are rows of statues representing various saints. In this image a few of them are suffused by the light of a setting sun, which seems to bring the old stone sculptures to life.

(I am trying out a new blogger template this weekend, for a change of pace. I will return to my normal one on Monday.)

17 comments:

  1. Great shot as always. I noticed that you changed your template. It's cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful golden light on the colonnade and statues contrasting with the vivid blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully done, enjoy your weekend my friend !

    ReplyDelete
  4. New layout, it's modern and nice! :)
    I love this picture, so wonderful detail from the architecture, and the blue sky is amazing!
    hugs and a nice week ahead,
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous light! Boy is this comment field weird and strange to use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your new template, D!
    It has come alive like the saints.
    Santto Bloggio? I reckon he is the patron saint of blogger.
    I worship him everyday.
    Would you excuse me?
    I need to say my prayers now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You created a fine composition with your choice of viewpoint and the items you included. I especially like the warm light's effect on the statues. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The whole complex of Vatican, as the large square, are wonderful. Your photo shows only a detail but it gives the idea about the whole.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Espectacular blog, muy currado, y con unas imágenes impresionantes. Saludos.-

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have seen these once Doug and have photos of them in the background... you have captured them up close and in a light that is spectacular... you've done good Sir....peter:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. fantastic light in this one, doug, and a very clever way of cropping! isn't st. peter's square one of its kind?!?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm always attracted to images with limited tonal values, Doug, and here, the brown tones and the detail contrast so well with that sky.

    I'm coming to this post late, and so did not see the template try out. All I can say is that for me, Blogger's flexibilty, as well as it's virtual 100% up time, make it the only place that I would host my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the light in this shot--it's perfect illumination for a shot of a place important to so many. Visiting the Vatican was an incredible experience; I was really wowed by the history.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic Roman light! Great capture!
    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. haven't been there yet, but i'll take your word for it.. ;) lovely colors in this shot of yours.. nice work..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...